1889 Fairhaven
 
 
 Painting courtesy Whatcom Museum

This painting by an unknown artist depicts Fairhaven at the start of the "boom".   The view is looking east, up Harris Avenue.  In the foreground is Deadman's Point, later called Commercial Point and Poe's Point which was removed in the early 1900s. 
 
Clear cutting of the forest is visible in the background and marked the northern border of Dan Harris’s Fairhaven* which was first logged by the Fairhaven Land Company.  This area would become the South Hill neighborhood.  
 
In December 1890 the Fairhaven Herald was already looking back...."Building a City Where a Year Ago Were the Fringes of a Mighty Forest" and describing "500 acres swept of timber as with some Titan's scythe."
 
*Fairhaven at the time of this painting, did not include the wooded area to the left of the clear cut land.  That early town of Bellingham was purchased from Edward Eldridge and Erastus Bartlett and would merge into a larger town of Fairhaven in 1890.     (From 1890 to 1904, a town of Bellingham did not exist.)
 
The Fairhaven Hotel is shown as a large brick building at the top of Harris Avenue. The artist used earlier architectural design drawings for the painting, so did not capture the actual design of the hotel's tower when completed.

The Fairhaven Land Company's office is depicted in the painting.  It is the prominent wood building on the left side of Harris Avenue, close to the bay.  The Land Company's office would later move up to 10th Street and Mill Avenue, today occupied by the Village Inn.