The Fairhaven Hotel & Other Vanished Landmarks
 
 
Fairhaven's boom years of 1889-92 saw significant expansion in both population and building construction.   Many buildings no longer exist.   The most famous was the Fairhaven Hotel.

Fairhaven Hotel Poster 1890
Whatcom Museum Photo Archives # 1971.03.02
Fairhaven Hotel
(1889 - 1956)
 
Occupied the Northeast corner of 12th Street and Harris Avenue
 
The elegant Fairhaven Hotel, constructed in 1889-1890, exemplifies the hopes and dreams of the early founders of the town of Fairhaven.  The collapse of its trade and final demolition is also a testament to the shattered dreams of a town once poised to be the terminus of the Great Northern Railroad. Financed by entrepreneurs Nelson Bennett and C.X. Larrabee and designed by local architects, Longstaff and Black, the hotel boasted 100 rooms.  It was serviced by a hydraulic elevator, lit by gas and electric lights, decorated with elegant oak furniture and brass hardware and heated by large steam boilers.  Rosamonde Van Miert’s, "The Fairhaven Hotel Journal, 1889-1956”, provides exquisite detail of its amenities. 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 Other Vanished Landmarks
 
The Blonden Block, the onion-domed building on the left, was demolished in 1950 not long after this photo was taken.
 
The remains of the Citizen's Bank/Sandwick Building can be seen on the right (beyond the Coca-Cola sign).  That building caught fire in 1949.

              
Looking West at 11th & Harris
Nelson Block foreground left, Terminal Building right
 
   Then and Now

Blonden Block
1890 - 1950
SW Corner 11th St & Harris Ave.
 
 
 The Blonden Block with onion-domed corner tower was demolished in 1950. 
The corner was used as a community garden until November 30, 1972.  See "Kerfluffle" in Hippie Years.
 

 
 Citizen's Bank/
Sandwick Building
 
1890 - 1949
 NW Corner 11th St. & Harris Ave.


 
The Citizens' Bank became Sandwicks Building.  It caught fire in 1949.  As of 2014 it has been Rocket Donuts. 
J.J. Donovan sculpture can be seen left.    Photo Credit:  Fairhaven Illustrated 1890  Whatcom Museum
 

 
Cowgill House*
1890 - 1891
 NE Corner 13th & Harris Ave.
*The Cowgill House is a Vanished Landmark and Historic Neighbor. 
 
 
 
 The Cowgill House was one of the first residences in Fairhaven, located just behind the Fairhaven Hotel.  
E.L. Cowgill dreamed of a Fairhaven Opera House and moved his house up Knox Avenue to 17th Street to make room.  
 The empty foundation remained until the late 1940s.
 
 
 
 

Foot of Harris Avenue
starting around 4th Street
   
 
 A large land mass called Deadman's Point was located at the foot of Harris Avenue.  It was an early cemetery.
Later known as Poe's Point and Commercial Point.
"Most" of the bodies were moved in 1889 to Bay View cemetery--
  a few more were were discovered with the hill was removed using hydraulic water hoses. 
Bellingham Herald headline on July 25, 1919  "DEADMAN"S POINT IS NOW NOTHING BUT A MEMORY".