The Changing Architectural Details of the E.M. Day Building


1905 Rembrant Studio Photo courtesy Whatcom Museum


A single-story wooden building was constructed at this location in 1890 and can be seen in the shopkeeper photo in 1905, right.

In 1928, owner J.E. Tierney, a blacksmith working farther down on 11th Street,  plunked down 50 cents and received a permit to "repair” the building. The repair of $2,000 would have extensively renovated the original structure. Brick was added to the interior walls and to the front of the building, a process called "skinning". It is assumed the original 1890 wooden structure exists sandwiched between the the  Monahan and Terminal Buildings.

1974 Grand Opening


For such a small structure, The E. M. Day Building seems to have been the most renovated of all the historic buildings. A 1974 remodel for Dirty Dan's restaurant shows "bumped out” multi-paned windows spanning each side of the doorway.  (See Left)


The early 1980s brought additional renovations which changed the exterior once again, with the addition of three tall smoked glass windows and a new entrance to the north side of the building.  (see right)

Today, a small awning, printed with the building address has been installed over the door. Only the cornice and frieze panel appear to remain intact, although repainted, since the original remodel of 1928.

Copyright © 2020 Website by ProFusion Web Solutions