The two-story brick building with basement was built on the northeast corner of Harris in 1903. It emulated the up-to-date Second Renaissance Revival Style and incorporated several Colonial Revival features.
The east shop has a recessed entry on a diagonal at the corner, and has retained its original wood frame beneath a cast iron beam supported at the corner by a free-standing cast iron column.
On the Harris Avenue facade six regularly spaced bays in the form of stilted round arches light the second story. The tympanae of the arches are blind and fitted with tongue-in-groove panels decorated with round bosses, apparently standard millwork of the period.
The sheet metal entablature, forms a frieze with rectangular panels corresponding to each bay, a corona projecting over modillions, a parapet, and a scrolled pedimental crest with date panel over the central bay of the main facade.
Return to Schering Block Overview