Fighting Fire in Fairhaven -- The Early Years
The rapid growth of Fairhaven during the years 1889-1892, prompted a flurry of construction financed by a few developers anxious to profit from the expectation that the town would prosper economically as a deepwater port and railroad terminus.   These developers, anxious to protect their investments, provided money for fire fighting equipment that could be used in case of disaster.  
Bennett Hose Co. No.1 (Nelson Bennett, sponsor) was organized June 6, 1890, as was Wardner Hose Co. No.2 (James Wardner, sponsor). 
Fairhaven Hook and Ladder Co. No.1 evolved from these early efforts and was quartered in the Fairhaven City Hall at 1112 Donovan Street.​  
When Fairhaven and Whatcom consolidated in 1903, this station became Bellingham Fire Department Station 2 at the Donovan location from 1904 until 1927.
Center for Pacific Northwest Studies
Galen Biery Collection gb0301

 More information to come:  


Copyright © 2020 Website by ProFusion Web Solutions