The Bateman House
1890
  1034 15th Street
South Hill Neighborhood
 
 
 
Whatcom Museum Photo Archives
 
The Bateman House at 1034 15th Street (northwest corner of 15th Street and Knox Avenue) was built during the Fairhaven boom of 1890 by Henry Borden Bateman of Newport, Rhode Island.
 
This striking two and a half story home in the Queen Anne style is noteworthy for its extensive use of fancy millwork posts and railings adorning the south and east sides of the first floor and a smaller balcony area on the south side of the second floor.
 
 
 
 
Henry Bateman was born in 1841 and arrived in Fairhaven in 1889, most likely at the encouragement of Nelson Bennett, touting the opportunities in this booming town on Bellingham Bay.   Bateman established his business in real estate, insurance and loans.  He also had a real estate business and home in Alameda, California in the late 1890s.
 Whatcom Museum
Donation by Brian Griffin
 
Having built his imposing home diagonally across from "Wardner’s Castle”, Henry Bateman became involved in local community affairs.  In 1893, he was appointed by the state governor to sit on a commission to select the location of the future State Normal School.
 
After Henry's death in 1917, and that of his wife Jennie in 1929, the home at 1034 15th Street was inherited by their daughter, Elena.  Before Elena’s death in 1963, she offered for sale the rifle and sword used by her father during his service in the Civil War as a member of the 5th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery Company G, achieving the rank of first lieutenant.  Her father was vary proud of his military service, but Elena was not comfortable with these weapons of war in her home.  Her focus had always been on her musical pursuits which brought her into the circle of other talented local women such as Mrs. J.J. Donovan and Mrs. C.X. Larrabee.
 
 

BACK to Historic Neighbors