Firehouse Performing Arts Center
1927
 
1314 Harris Avenue
Happy Valley Neighborhood
 
 
The rapid growth of Fairhaven during the years 1889-1892, prompted a flurry of construction financed by a few developers anxious to profit from the expectation that the town would prosper economically as a deepwater port and railroad terminus.

These developers, anxious to protect their investments, provided money for fire fighting equipment that could be used in case of disaster. Bennett Hose Co. No.1 (Nelson Bennett, sponsor) was organized June 6, 1890, as was Wardner Hose Co. No.2 (James Wardner, sponsor). Fairhaven Hook and Ladder Co. No.1 evolved from these early efforts and was quartered in the Fairhaven City Hall at 1112 Donovan Street.​When Fairhaven and Whatcom consolidated in 1903, this station became Bellingham Fire Department Station 2 at the Donovan location from 1904 until 1927.
 A new facility, designed in the Spanish Mission revival style by architect F. Stanley Piper, was constructed at 1314 Harris Avenue for $15,000 and housed a crew of six firefighters plus equipment.  When a new station was built at 1590 Harris Avenue, this structure was surplused in 2002 by the Bellingham City Council, placed on the Local Historic Register and offered for sale for adaptive reuse.
 
Purchased by Matt Christman, it was remodeled by Mike Smith, architect with the Zervas Group, and McConnell Construction.  In 2006, the Old Fairhaven Fire Station opened as the Firehouse Performing Arts Center along with an adjacent cafe and offices.
 
 

A pocket park was landscaped at the back of the building and features a magnificent oriental plane tree planted by firefighter, Roger Iverson over thirty years ago.
 


Details of the transformation may be found at Whatcom Talk.

Fairhaven Firehouse Map
 

 
BACK to Historic Neighbors