Historic Neighbors 

 
The Fairhaven Historic District is part of the Fairhaven Neighborhood and close to the South, South Hill, Happy Valley and Edgemoor neighborhoods.

As the population of Fairhaven grew, and the Fairhaven Land Company acquired property and platted these nearby lands, lots were sold for individual home construction. 
 
Click Photos for more information.
 
 
 Edgemoor
 Happy Valley
 South
 South Hill
  
The following are historic buildings that exist in these neighborhoods.
 


                                       
Happy Valley   
1890
The Cowgill House is also a "Vanished Landmark".  Originally built in Fairhaven in 1890, it was moved to make way for the Fairhaven Opera House.  The house was moved to 17th Street and Knox Avenue in 1891.  The home moved again in the early 1900s and is now the Co-Housing Community Center located at 2614 Donovan Avenue in Happy Valley.
 
 


 
South Hill
 1890
Architects Frank Longstaff and H.N. Black arrived in Fairhaven just as the town was booming and in great need of architects.  Hired by Roland Gamwell to help with the Fairhaven Hotel, they designed the exquisite Gamwell House (see below).  They also designed or supervised a number of buildings in Fairhaven including Wardner's Castle, and the historic Knights of Pythias Building.  Their home at 1210 Gambier Avenue in the South Hill neighborhood was designed with two sets of stairs, allowing each of the men to have their private area upstairs.  
 

Wardner's Castle 
                       
South Hill
1890
James Wardner lived in Fairhaven for only a few short years, but he made an indelible mark on the growing community.  One of his lasting legacies was this grand residence built in 1890 on the southeast corner of 15th Street and Knox Avenue on South Hill.
 



South Hill
1890
Roland Gamwell moved to Fairhaven in 1889, able to take advantage of the Fairhaven real estate boom and quickly make a small fortune.  A native of Boston, Gamwell was primarily responsible for getting Boston architects Longstaff and Black to Fairhaven in 1890; they were commissioned to design and construct his home at 1001 16th Street, one of the most elegant homes on not only South Hill, but Bellingham Bay.


 
 South Hill
1890
Henry Borden Bateman, a native of Rhode Island, moved to Fairhaven in 1889 and built his home in 1890.  The house is located on South Hill at 1034 15th Street on the corner opposite Wardner's Castle. 

 Edgemoor
1914
 
This building is also known as the C. X. Larrabee House.  Charles X. Larrabee was a man of tremendous wealth and power in Bellingham, controlling mining, railroads, ranching and real estate enterprises. In 1914, Larrabee hired the distinguished Seattle architect Carl Gould to design this 25 room Italian Renaissance style mansion in the Edgemoor district of Bellingham.  The home is located at 405 Fieldston Road.

  Happy Valley
1927

This Firehouse was designed in the Spanish Mission revival style by architect F. Stanley Piper, was constructed at 1314 Harris Avenue for $15,000 and housed a crew of six firefighters plus equipment.   This structure continued as a Fire Station until 2002.  It is currently a performing arts center, located in Happy Valley, just outside the Fairhaven District.