Statue of J. J. Donovan
Dedicated September 14, 2014
 
11th Street and Harris Avenue
 
John Joseph Donovan Returns to Fairhaven!
 
John Joseph (J.J.) Donovan arrived in Fairhaven in 1888 at the invitation of Nelson Bennett for the purpose of building a railroad which would transport coal from his mine on the Skagit River to be shipped from the newly-settled town of Fairhaven. 
 
It was a grand celebration when the statue was unveiled.
 

 
 
The statue includes a replica of an actual letter from J.J. Donovan to his wife Clara.  In the letter, J.J. is describing the four towns on Bellingham Bay:  Fairhaven, Bellingham, Sehome and Whatcom.  The town of Bellingham would soon become part of Fairhaven later that year.  In 1904 a City of Bellingham would be formed when Fairhaven and Whatcom were consolidated.
The letters were found in an old trunk in 2010 and became part of an exhibition at the Whatcom Museum called "Treasures from the Trunk" The J.J. Donovan Story.
 
  Related Material:
 
 
 September 15, 2014
BELLINGHAM HERALD
Writer:  Dean Kahn
Bellingham given bronze statue of community leader J.J. Donovan
 
 

The Trunk:  It safeguarded the historic Donovan papers for many years.....  Rotting and dealing in its damp basement in Sag Harbor, New York, it was rescued by one phone call from Brian Griffin.  This led to the successful 2013 Exhibition at the Whatcom Museum, and the book about what was found in the Trunk, and the life story of J.J. Donovan, arguably the most important citizen in the towns along Bellingham Bay.  
 
Click over to order book.  
 
For photos and information about the festivities and what was involved in making the statue, go to Fairhaven.com.