Statue of J. J. Donovan
Dedicated September 14, 2014
11th Street and Harris Avenue
John Joseph Donovan Returns to Fairhaven!
John Joseph (J.J.) Donovan arrived in Fairhaven in 1888 at the invitation of Nelson Bennett for the purpose of building a railroad which would transport coal from his mine on the Skagit River to be shipped from the newly-settled town of Fairhaven. 
It was a grand celebration when the statue was unveiled.
More information  about J.J. Donovan can be found in CAST of CHARACTERS.
The statue includes a replica of an actual letter from J.J. Donovan to his wife Clara.  In the letter, J.J. is describing the four towns on Bellingham Bay:  Fairhaven, Bellingham, Sehome and Whatcom.  The town of Bellingham would soon become part of Fairhaven later that year.  In 1904 a City of Bellingham would be formed when Fairhaven and Whatcom were consolidated.
The letters were found in an old trunk in 2010 and became part of an exhibition at the Whatcom Museum called "Treasures from the Trunk" The J.J. Donovan Story.
  Related Material:
September 15, 2014
Bellingham given bronze statue of community leader J.J. Donovan
For photos and information about the festivities and what was involved in making the statue, go to

BACK to New Landmarks