Fairhaven Village Green and Historic Statues Close by
Bordered by 10th Street and Mill Avenue
(Behind Village Books and The Colophon

 
Historic Fairhaven is fortunate to have a Bellingham City Park as its center.  Completed in 2003, the Fairhaven Village Green has much to enjoy, including summer movies on the green, festivals and farmer's markets.   There are many historic elements to this new landmark as it is bordered to the east by the 1890 Knights of Pythias Building and 1891 Fairhaven Grocery.  A 1923  bronze Tulip Drinking Fountain was moved here, created by Knute Evertz, grandfather of Bellingham Mayor, Kelli Linville. 
 
The statue of Fairhaven Founder, Dirty Dan Harris is popular with old and young alike. The Village Green mural was recently updated and offers a view of Fairhaven in 1927.  Two man-hole covers are designed to feature the Fairhaven Hotel and the Gamwell House.
 


  
The Fairhaven Village Green is a public gathering place central to the Fairhaven Historic District. Through a successful public-private partnership, a once weed-infested vacant lot on the southeast corner of 10th Street and Mill Avenue was developed in 2002-2003 to accommodate activities and events that draw crowds of people and pets.  

The property was purchased in 1998 with funds from a voter-approved "Beyond Greenways” levy. However, the City lacked the necessary funds to fully develop the property. In 2001, a group of private citizens and local merchants raised the money which added to the City’s contribution and made this project a reality. 


The Bellingham Parks and Recreation Department, led by project coordinator, Leslie Bryson, and the Fairhaven Village Green committee led by Brian Griffin, began the design and development process that brought about the project’s successful completion. 

 
Enlisting the contributions of volunteers, staging fund-raising events and holding countless meetings with development partners, the work progressed with a clear pattern of individual responsibilities. The City provided the funds for excavation, plumbing, concrete construction and other basics. The citizen’s committee purchased the pavers, benches, wood and glass pergola and other distinctive touches such as the railing, bollards and the Dirty Dan Harris (founder of Fairhaven) sculpture. 
Today, the Fairhaven Village Green is host to Saturday night summer film programs, a weekly seasonal farmers’ market, bocce ball tournaments, musical events, art and antique shows and a year-round space for people-watching and general relaxation. Situated at the head of the popular South Bay Trail, this area connects the Fairhaven Historic District to the southern end of downtown Bellingham and its popular Depot Market Square.
 
A few steps off the Village Green are statues of Mark Twain (in front of Village Books), J.J. Donovan (at the corner of 11th Street and Harris) and C.X. Larrabee (a little farther south on 11th next to Rustic Coffee) Donovan and Larrabee had an important role in Fairhaven History.  Mark Twain spent the night at the Cascade Club, currently located on the top floor of Sycamore Square.